I’ve shared the results of my six month stretch, but this is how the relaxer day actually went down. I was trying to add my snapchat story for you guys to watch at the end of this post, but it wasn’t really working out the way I wanted. Instead, I included screen shots of the whole process.1. Relaxer day started with me gathering everything I needed to get me through the relaxer application process:
The Prep Work.
- Summit Sensitive Scalp and Pointed Applicator Bottle;
- Clips for securing my hair in sections;
- Small Hand Mirror to see the back sections as I relax;
- Affirm Fiberguard Relaxer – Sensitive Scalp (2 tubs) and Activator;
- Spatula-like tool for applying the relaxer;
- Rat tail Comb, for parting;
- Aphogee Keratin 2 minute Reconstructor;
- Mizani Phormula-7 Chelating and Neutralizing Shampoo;
- Nexxus Humectress Ultimate Moisturizing Conditioner; and
- my cell phone for its stopwatch.
2. I created four sections, based my scalp with Summit Sensitive Scalp and applied Vaseline (mixed with my Elasta QP Serum) to my ends.
3. Because it was taking me a while to part my hair without causing breakage, I decided to pre-part the back sections and secure the sections with clamps to make applying the relaxer quicker. It was a crucial step for applying relaxer to the new growth in the back two sections. Otherwise I’m sure I would have been slowed down by tangles. (After watching this video, Fastest Way to Relax, I am going to pre-part all four sections the way she did in that video the next time I relax. It takes time to do, but with months of new growth to get through it’s a good way to ensure tangles don’t slow down the relaxer application process.)
4. I mixed two tubs of the relaxer because I did not want to run out half way through. I filled the activator up to the normal line for both tubs and mixed the activator in until both relaxer tubs were creamy and pink. Then I applied the relaxer and smoothed my new growth in 15 minutes. (For my next relaxer, I’m going to be sure to stay within the 16-19 minute range. I didn’t think one minute would make a difference but days later, I’m wishing I had let it sit for another minute or two.)
After Applying the Relaxer.
1. My Mid step Protein treatment was Aphogee Keratin 2 minute Reconstructor and I neutralized with Mizani Phormula-7 Chelating and Neutralizing Shampoo (I need to remember to repurchase my Elasta QP Stop Action Neutralizing Shampoo because not having that shampoo with color alarms makes me a little more nervous about neutralizing).
2. My deep conditioner was Nexus Humectress Ultimate Moisturizing Conditioner, which I left in for 30 minutes before rinsing it out.
3. Before blow drying, I t-shirt dried my hair and applied GVP The Conditioner and Aphogee Keratin and Green Tea Restructurizer as my leave-in conditioners.
4. After blow drying, I sprayed Proclaim Spray on Glosser
and proceeded to flat iron. The temperature was set to 370 degrees F.
5. Once I was done flat ironing it was time to trim my ends.