Wash Day | Roller Set, Flat Iron, Curl.

I was so close to picking up CHI Infra Treatment on Thursday night.  I was browsing the beauty section at TJ Maxx when I saw that they had the liter size on clearance for $10!  I felt this instant compulsion to purchase it because of the massive savings that were available to me even though I’d never really heard much about this product.  After going back and forth with myself on the issue, I decided to leave it there.  Sigh…I didn’t pick it up, but that protein conditioner would have been perfect for my last wash day because I ended up using a lot of heat on my hair.  I may or may not be making another trip to see if it’s still there for $10.  If it is still there, I’m taking that as a sign that we were meant to be together… Below are the details on my wash day without the CHI Infra Treatment…

My wash day started with a coconut oil pre-poo that I shampooed out with GVP Tea Tree Shampoo.  I did a black tea rinse, then put Roux Porosity Control on my hair to finger detangle in the shower because my shedding has increased since starting the castor oil challenge.  And I wanted to remove as many of the shed hairs as I could before I proceeded to styling my hair.  Once I was done I deep conditioned with Nexxus Humectress, which has some protein in it but I still consider it a moisturizing deep conditioner.  Plus I added castor oil to it, which just boosted its moisturizing capabilities.  My leave-in this time was CHI Silk Infusion and I used Proclaim Wrap Foam to roller set my hair in the traditional mohawk pattern.

Additional Styling after the Roller Set.

After sitting under the dryer for 1 hour and 40 minutes my hair was dry.  So I removed the rollers and proceeded to flat ironing my roots.  I normally don’t do this, but my new growth is a bit out of control even though I’m only 8 weeks post.  When I finished straightening my roots most of my curls were gone, so I curled my ends with a curling iron.  I wasn’t sure how well my curls would last and I needed them to last for at least the next 5 hours.  So after curling each section, I sprayed the curl with Sebastian Shaper Plus holding spray and wrapped the hair around a roller.  After I was dressed and ready to head out, I removed the rollers, finger styled my hair and was ready to go.
In the end my hair looked great and the curls lasted to the end of the night — wash day success!

30 Comments

1. So gorgeous and love the teal dress. I swear your hair and curls always look like you just left the salon. Just beautiful.

2. Your hair is lovely. Seems like you've got the post-partum shedding thing sorted. I can only wish to perfect the roller-set, my arms get so sore half way through and I just give up.

3. Your hair came out lovely! I've always wanted to try a traditional roller set but I am intimidated by the process for some reason; your mohawk method seems simple enough, I think I will give it a shot.

4. Thank you. While I do think that the tea rinses helped to slow down the post partum shedding, I'm pretty sure it just ran its course.

My arms get sore too, lol. But don't give up on the roller sets. They are so worth it!

5. Your curls have so much bounce :-)))) do you have any breakage when smoothing your hair before putting the rollers on?

6. The way your put in your rollers are quite different from what i can remember. Your results came out banging.

7. For the persons who want an easier method to rollerset i use the ponytail method. When i do the traditional rollerset i get alot of breakage cause i cant see the back section to place the clips properly. So pony tail helps alot.

Very nice curls by the way

8. Thanks, Becca K. No, not really. I do notice more shed hairs from roller setting, but I attribute that to the fact that I don't do as thorough of a detangle when I air dry.

9. Thanks, Tomes! Yeah, I just grabbed random section to curl with the curling iron. That's why the pictures at the bottom show that random pattern. But when I initially roller set, I did use the mohawk method.

10. Thanks, Shantel. Nice tip. I've never tried the ponytail method, but it does look a lot easier.

11. Hi Shantel, My hair is wet when I roller set my hair. That is what gives me smooth curls.

After sitting under the dryer with my rollers (top left picture in photo collage), I removed the rollers (top right photo in photo collage) and flat ironed my roots, but I had lost most of my curls (see bottom right photo in the photo collage). To re-curl my hair, I used a curling iron and then placed the hair on a roller to hold the curls tight while I finished getting ready (see two bottom left photos in the same collage). I hope that helps to clarify why my hair looks dry on the rollers.

12. I have the Infra Treatment, and it smells amazing. The smell is super strong if you use it with the shampoo. After rinsing out the conditioner my hair doesn't feel hard like other protein conditioners. If you do buy the conditioner(which you will because your a product junkie like me) I hope that it works for you 🙂

13. Your hair looks great. I just purchased the self stay rollers but not the actual velcro ones, but the plastic velcro type. I was watching a video and a girl hair got completely straight. I said that type 4a and above couldn't get straight with just a roller set but a couple of ladies said that you can and black women have been doing it for years. Just hearing that you had to flat iron shows that I am right. I will be attempting to use the rollers tomorrow, but something keeps telling me I'm right. There I s no way you can get type 4 a flat iron straight with just rollers. I know with the velcro rollers it's more tension but …….

14. Yeah, I know my natural new growth does stretch with a roller set, but if I want it to be straight I need to do a silk wrap and/or flat iron my roots. And I'm pretty sure my new growth is type 4a or above.